Saturday, April 28, 2018

Guns and Flat Track

Here in the U.S.A. guys who like motorcycles usually have a love for firearms as well. Maybe it is the fine engineering in both, maybe it is the feeling of dangerous power in your hand, who knows. The highly esteemed, one hundred and sixty four year old, Swiss firearms manufacturer Sig Sauer, obviously sees the connection and have developed a very interest Ad that has just came out in the NRA Members Magazine "American Rifleman". As you can see it is a very simple approach that connects a Mechanic who loves both Flat Track motorcycles and pistols. I think a pretty common trait in my realm. The great majority of my motorcycle buddies have a collection of bikes and guns and we often carry pistols in backpacks and do a little plinking as part of our dirt bike rides.
The connection to guns and hunting and flat track is well known as many of our National Champions ( at least a couple from Michigan ) lived to hunt, fish and race sickles. My interpretation of the Ad may be incorrect but, I enjoy seeing a Vintage Yamaha 500 Flat Tracker sliding around on a dry lake bed. Being from So Cal, we have done this numerous times and its heaps of fun. I have walked off the measurements of all the dirt tracks I've raced at and duplicated them at the lakes with cones and cut many laps perfecting gearing and fine honing my sliding. Oh, what a blast !

UPDATE : I now see this Ad on the Back Cover of none other than Hot Rod Magazine !