Saturday, July 27, 2024

Push Button Transmission 1963 Valiant "S" Type

That Push Button Tranny was really something cool in '63.
My mum's gray Valiant. Sliding around on Aldinga Beach, South Australia. I went 100mph in this car for the first time in my life. My older brother Greg got his drivers licence that very day. I come home from school and mum says "Greg, why dont you take your brother for a drive !" We jump in her Valiant and head for the Mt. Barker Road. Greg shows me his road racing skills all the way to the top. Greg convinced my dad to buy a set of Dunlop SP4s "Radials !" which were the new thing and the best performance tyre of the era, with whitewalls! On the way down, there is a long downhill straight and Greg asks, have you ever been 100 ? Errr... no. He floors it and we are really scootin' He yells LOOK ! as he is reaching through the steering wheel tapping on the speedo which is wavering at the 100 mark. I remember that afternoon like it was yesterday. The secret to happiness is to go 100 at least once a day. It is pretty easy to do living here in San Diego where if you are not doing 80 on the freeway, you better get TF outta the way !