Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Les Diener, Racer, Engineer

 Came across this beautiful gear drive, DOHC 350 Velocette Viper of South Australian, Les Diener. It is a famous bike the Eldee Special. Les won several SA championships and was contender if not winner at all the tracks in the late '40s and '50s. Les developed the bike and raced it extensively.
My father founded a gun company in Australia right after the war, Sporting Arms, Adelaide , SA and at some stage Les worked in the engineering dept. My folks would go and cheer Les on at the races and they loved going. I asked my 95 year old mum, Tell me about Les Diener. She says, motorcycle racer, had some real bad accidents. She continues, I could take you right to Les's house, Turn right out of the factory gates on to South Road, go to I think the 4th street, turn right. Where the hill starts, that's Les's house on the left. My mother can't remember who she talked on the phone five minutes ago but she remembers so many details about her long and illustrious past.
 Nice shot of Les whipping the exotic Velo Viper, 
called the Eldee Velocette, Eldee after his initials LD.

 Les and another Velo flying in formation.
Replicas have been made from the original tooling and are racing all over the world, NZ, IOM TT.