Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Yamaha 360 RT

I remember these very well. This was a real Street Scrambler, not like the heavy, clumsy behemoths both Triumph and Ducati  pawn off on today's youth. These were light, agile and fast and a whole lot of fun. These were dirt friendly and highway friendly but not freeway flyers. The 360 was a completely different animal than the 250 and had that spot in the power band that reminded you that this was a big two banger. When I had barely got my drivers license,  Bud England, a family friend showed up on a brand new 360 Enduro, black with red pinstripe tank, the very first street 360 and he threw me the keys and said you are gonna like this. I had been riding 175 and 250 Yamaha dirt bikes so as soon as I got going I felt the big difference. I ripped around my favorite roads impressed immensely. Then I did exactly what this guy is doing. I found a nice jump and aired it out a little. I was having a blast and feeling confident. I gassed it a little harder at the jump and effed up the takeoff and the back end was sky high and I was nosing in heavily. Somehow I didn't eat it and the front end bottomed and I came to a shaky stop. I wiped the forks off that showed they had been fully compressed and rode home feeling stupid and lucky I had not bashed up Bud's Baby.